Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Bleeding Baby and Busy-ness


About a week ago I was smack in the middle of going to the bathroom when Kallie ran in all excited. She ran up to me, ran to the door, ran to the tub and danced her little legs side to side. She turned around to run to me again but went so fast that she instead ran her head right into the outward corner next to the toilet. I'm glad I was right there when it happened but I wasn't in the most convenient position to hold a baby with blood gushing out of her forehead as I try to figure out how to pull up my pants so I can get to the phone. Somehow I figured it out and called 911 because nothing like this had ever happened before. They said it didn't cost anything to send out paramedics so I gave them the go ahead. Kallie's bleeding started slowing down a lot so tried to clean up some blood.



 Kallie's such a trooper! She stopped crying and started smiling before the paramedics even arrived so when at least eight men came through the door I felt kind of ridiculous for the big scene. They said she definitely needed to go to the doctor, whether it be her pediatrician or the ER. I highly doubted I could get her into the pediatrician on such short notice so the question arose, should I drive her or should they? I was afraid if I drove her, she'd fall asleep or puke in the back seat. The paramedics reassured me their ride would be covered if we have insurance so I said, "Sure, why not"?

It was humorous to me that this all happened at this moment for a number of reasons. The previous night I had restless leg syndrome and got hardly any sleep. We had just come home from play group and I was about change her diaper and put her down for a nap. I was really excited to eat a quick lunch and take a nap myself while Kallie was napping. Instead it was time to head to the hospital.

We packed up and followed them out to the parking lot. They actually got out Kallie's car seat from our van and hooked it up in the fire truck. I was able to sit right next to her on the way there. When we arrived at the ER, they hooked up Kallie's car seat (with her in it) onto a stretcher and pushed her into the hospital like that. It was so funny! We definitely sat in the hospital for longer than I would have liked waiting for the doc to come in and glue her together but Kallie snacked on crackers, watched cartoons and explored the room while we waited. When the doc finally did come in he brought in another buff man just to hold down Kallie so she wouldn't move. I rubbed her legs and tried to reassure her because she couldn't see me but she went right on screaming the entire time. When they finally finished and sat her up her face was BEAT red from crying so much. She also clung to me like a cat stuck high in a tree but nevertheless was smiling and giggling in no time.



Kallie turned out fine and fell asleep on the way home. She also took a GOOD nap so I was able to sleep too :)

The weekend came and was VERY busy (in a good way). My friends Molly and Robin came over on Friday so we could help Molly prepare food for her husband's surprise 30th birthday party the next day. Then Brad came home early from work in the afternoon like he usually does on Fridays so we decided to go to the pool with those same friends and their husbands and order pizza while we were there.

On Saturday the festivities began. We babysat Molly & Wayne's boy Sam so they could go kayaking for his birthday. I was all excited because I had activities planned for Sam and Kallie but none of them really worked out. I wanted to take them on a walk to the gazebo to feed the ducks, fish and turtles but by the time we left at 9:30am it was SO hot. We got about halfway before Kallie had a tantrum because we took away her new favorite toy (an unopened can of pop that was slowing her down on our walk). For the first time she literally plopped down on the sidewalk and screamed.

Brad decided it was time to take her home while I kept walking with Sam. It wasn't long before I noticed five beads of sweat running down his face so I thought we might want to turn around and head home as well. I noticed during this walk that Sam is so much faster than Kallie! He takes off and stays ahead of us the whole time. Going on a walk with him is almost as good of exercise as going on a real walk by myself. I couldn't help but wish Kallie walked like him. When Brad and I decide to go for a walk we have to specify whether it's a real walk (with her in the stroller so we can actually go fast) or a "Kallie" walk.


 Wayne, Sam and Molly

When Molly & Wayne picked up Sam they took Kallie with them and put her down for a nap at their place so Brad and I could go to a movie. We saw the new Disney movie "Brave" and it was pretty good. I was not satisfied with the candy we bought to munch on during the movie. I realized I was craving salty food instead of sweet and I got a stomach ache. I realized we need to change how we choose our movie snacks next time. I'm excited to see if it works. The movie ended fairly early so we came home and took a nap before picking up Kallie :).

At this point we went to Molly & Wayne's to pick up Kallie but instead of going home, Brad and Wayne left to go rock climbing with our other friend Tony. I made it look like I was about to take Kallie home while they were gone but I moved the van to the visitor parking and stayed to help Molly prep for the surprise party. Two things ruined the surprise for Wayne. First, he noticed our van in the visitor spots as they came back into the complex (he is a very observant guy). Secondly, instead of dropping off Wayne and parking the car while he walked into his surprise party, Tony turned off the car and got out to walk in with Wayne. Brad new this wasn't the plan but Tony had already gotten out so he followed suit. Wayne realized it was weird that his friends were following him inside even though they hadn't been invited so as they walked up to the door he asked, "There's a surprise party for me, isn't there?

We put Kallie to bed at their house so we stay as late as we wanted and the party was a success.

This week I had another night of restless leg syndrome, which was absolutely wonderful. I only got four hours of sleep last night but I was happy to take Kallie to the beach today because she could get outside and have fun while I could relax a little in the sun. As we drove to the beach I was of course really tired but not enough to worry my driving. However as the highway was about to approach the beach and curve around to a perpendicular direction I passed a cop and had not yet slowed down because I hadn't reached the curve. As you can guess I got a speeding ticket and immediately broke down crying. I was tired, hormonal and emotional and I think I just needed a good cry. I've realized recently that I need one on a regular basis. At first I felt like such a girl and a little embarrassed about it but I think most girls just need that. I've come to accept it and be grateful that I have an awesome husband that's really good at balancing out my emotions and making me feel better.

With that said, a normal person probably would have gone home after having an emotional breakdown but I decided to continue to the beach after I was calm because it was a fun activity for Kallie and I must say, I have awesome friends that make me feel better and we always have fun.
Thankfully Kallie took a LONG nap when we got home from the beach which means I was able to take a long nap. The rest of the day went much better and we even went to a restaurant called Pei Wei for the first time and it was super tasty. We got lettuce wraps as an appetizer, (which Kallie actually loved and ate the whole time), I got Pad Thai and Brad got a coconut curry dish. At one point I think Kallie dipped the lettuce wrap filling into the sauce (which was a little spicy) and totally freaked out! She started crying, turning side to side and touching her hand to her mouth. I was finally able to convince her to drink cold water and as soon as she finished she went back to talking like normal. Brad and I couldn't stop laughing.

Tonight is "Guys Night", which means Brad is out with his buddies seeing the new Spider Man movie in the theater and I am at home updating our blog :)

Don't forget to click on the "Pictures" link above this post to see some new ones!











No comments:

Post a Comment